Skip to main content

Goldhagen v. Augustine



Two days ago (as you reckon time, oh real-time reader of these prepared-for-vacation notes) I said that I am thinking of writing something about the historiography of the Holocaust.

Somewhat related to that ambition: I see that Daniel Jonah Goldhagen, a very high-profile social scientist, formerly an associate professor of political science at Harvard, has a new book out called  The Devil That Never Dies.

From what I've heard it is not so much as history as a work of personal meditation on the past, present, and future of anti-Semitism.

 It is also the object of a very sharply worded critique in the September 13th WALL STREET JOURNAL by Anthony Julius. Julius says that he is himself of Goldhagen's "party," that is, anti-anti-Semitism, but ... to do the good work of that party one has to be a "smart, truth-telling" participant in the "terrible struggle" against the enemies of the Jews. And this, Goldhagen is not.

I shouldn't comment on this review, since I haven't read the underlying book and don't know whether Julius' various particulars behind this charge are accurate. Still, the bit about Augustine draws my own antiquarian interests.

Julius says that Goldhagen cites as an example of St. Augustine's anti-Semitism this passage (an apostrophe to God) from Augustine's CONFESSIONS: "How hateful to me are the enemies of your Scripture! How I wish that you would slay them (the Jews)."

Those final two words in the parenthesis aren't Augustine's. That is easy enough to confirm in this era of GoogleBooks. Without working too hard at it I find what seems to be a somewhat different English-language translation, but what is clearly the same passage, to which I have just linked you, dear reader.

The passage, early in a chapter title "Of the depth of the Sacred Scripture, and its enemies" reads:
 "The enemies thereof I hate vehemently. Oh, if Thou wouldest Slay them with Thy Two-edged sword, that they not be its enemies!

So it does appear that Julius has a point, that Goldhagen inserted the phrase (the Jews) into the passage to help us along with its interpretation and with the inference that it fits his thesis, which seems to be that anti-semitism is ubiquitous in western culture.

I won't argue that you couldn't find good prooftexts for this thesis in Augustine. But I am not inclined to see this as one of them. Looking over the context I see that quite near to this statement Augustine refers favorably to God's "servant Moses" as the author of the book of Genesis, and that (not a New Testament text) is the only specific "scripture" he seems to be referencing here.

It seems that the enemies of scripture Augustine had in mind were the Manicheans, the dualists/gnostics of his time who thought that the material world was the creation of a demon, that the good God had created only the spiritual world.

Genesis tells us that at each step in the creation of the material world, God "saw that it was good." This is an idea the dualists., who identified matter with evil, had to discredit. Thus, they were the "enemies" in this passage.

Yes, the talk of dispatching theological enemies with a sword, or even hoping that God will do so with a metaphorical sword, is still a rather blood-thirsty habit of mind. but the passage doesn't seem to work for Goldhagen.

Unless, then, there is some qualification of this point in Goldhagen's book (again, I wouldn't know -- haven't read it -- take my bloviating no more seriously than it warrants): unless there is some qualification not presented by Julius, this would seem a sound objection.

Comments

  1. Let me save those who follow through to Christopher's two links from the effort I expended. When I clicked on "Julius says that Goldenhagen," I got a WSJ article that is available to subscribers only. But, when I googled "The Devil That Never Dies by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen," the second hit was the article, readable in full. Then I discovered that it will not go into the print format, so I had to print as it appeared.

    When I clicked on the link to GoogleBooks, I got 12 results, none of which was, on its face, the one Christopher quoted. I discovered it to be the page 328 result, but, after opening it, I found that I had to scroll down to page 329 for the quotation.

    By the way, editorial additions to quotations, such as "the Jews," should be in brackets, not parentheses. Christopher correctly quoted Julius as using parentheses, and, if Julius correctly quoted Goldenhagen, then Julius could have added that (admittedly less significant) mistake, to Goldenhagen's others.

    Julius's criticisms of Goldenhagen do not surprise me, because I recall that Goldenhagen's 1996 book, "Hitler's Willing Executioners," which received much attention, was widely criticized as being tendentious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Story About Coleridge

This is a quote from a memoir by Dorothy Wordsworth, reflecting on a trip she took with two famous poets, her brother, William Wordsworth, and their similarly gifted companion, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.   We sat upon a bench, placed for the sake of one of these views, whence we looked down upon the waterfall, and over the open country ... A lady and gentleman, more expeditious tourists than ourselves, came to the spot; they left us at the seat, and we found them again at another station above the Falls. Coleridge, who is always good-natured enough to enter into conversation with anybody whom he meets in his way, began to talk with the gentleman, who observed that it was a majestic waterfall. Coleridge was delighted with the accuracy of the epithet, particularly as he had been settling in his own mind the precise meaning of the words grand, majestic, sublime, etc., and had discussed the subject with William at some length the day before. “Yes, sir,” says Coleridge, “it is a majesti

Five Lessons from the Allegory of the Cave

  Please correct me if there are others. But it seems to be there are five lessons the reader is meant to draw from the story about the cave.   First, Plato  is working to devalue what we would call empiricism. He is saying that keeping track of the shadows on the cave wall, trying to make sense of what you see there, will NOT get you to wisdom. Second, Plato is contending that reality comes in levels. The shadows on the wall are illusions. The solid objects being passed around behind my back are more real than their shadows are. BUT … the world outside the the cave is more real than that — and the sun by which that world is illuminated is the top of the hierarchy. So there isn’t a binary choice of real/unreal. There are levels. Third, he equates realness with knowability.  I  only have opinions about the shadows. Could I turn around, I could have at least the glimmerings of knowledge. Could I get outside the cave, I would really Know. Fourth, the parable assigns a task to philosophers

Searle: The Chinese Room

John Searle has become the object of accusations of improper conduct. These accusations even have some people in the world of academic philosophy saying that instructors in that world should try to avoid teaching Searle's views. That is an odd contention, and has given rise to heated exchanges in certain corners of the blogosphere.  At Leiter Reports, I encountered a comment from someone describing himself as "grad student drop out." GSDO said: " This is a side question (and not at all an attempt to answer the question BL posed): How important is John Searle's work? Are people still working on speech act theory or is that just another dead end in the history of 20th century philosophy? My impression is that his reputation is somewhat inflated from all of his speaking engagements and NYRoB reviews. The Chinese room argument is a classic, but is there much more to his work than that?" I took it upon myself to answer that on LR. But here I'll tak