Skip to main content

Stumbling into some 'technical' waters

 


I recently encountered, in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, a review of a book called THE OPEN FUTURE. It argues for a proposition that, I believe, is broadly correct. Time is real and creative. The future is something that does not yet exist. 

In fact, as regular readers of this blog may remember, I believe in a "growing block" theory of reality-in-time. The past and present are both real. The present is the forward surface of a growing block, and the future is everything that the block has NOT yet reached.

The book in question is written by a fellow named Patrick Todd and it costs $80 (which discourages me from purchase.) 

The reviewer, Mitch Green, is a professor at the University of Connecticut. I have a great deal of fondness for that institution: the flagship public university of one of the three states in which I have resided throughout all of my life, and the one in which I have spent more of it even than in NY or Massachusetts. So ... yeah Huskies!

Green describes the book at some length, but never actually evaluates it. One must presume that he thinks it has some merits in order to be worth so detailed a precis.

Regardless: there is one BIG PROBLEM with denying the reality of the future, whether as a presentist or as a growing blockhead.  The BIG PROBLEM IMHO is the relativity problem. When I read the book I wondered whether Todd had addressed the theory of relativity in this context. Green didn't say, despite the elaborateness of his review. 

So I wrote him an email. Not the author. I wrote Green, the UConn reviewer. It read in relevant part:

 I am always curious about the relativity problem in such contexts.  We can say that future contingent propositions are false as a categorical matter if and only if we have a clear idea of when the future is -- that is, only if we have a firm grasp on what is the present.  

But suppose astronauts in space vehicles moving at two distinct speeds, both of which are close to the speed of light, seeking to pass the earth at a moment that allows them to witness the site of a certain sea battle.  If I had a firmer grasp on the physics than I do, I could likely work out a scenario in which the sea battle has already happened for astronaut A, but is in the future for the time frame of astronaut B. Even if an observer on the surface of the earth sees both spaceships passing by 'at the same time'.
That rather messes with the whole framework in which Todd is discussing time and knowability, doesn't it?  Does he address this? 

I look forward to hearing from you if you have a few moments to spare. 

-------------------------------------  
I am happy to report that he DID have a few moments to spare, (time is relative, after all) and he got back to me later that evening. 

Todd does not address open future issues in the context of relativity. Doing so would add some further complications, which I think would be interesting but wouldn’t obviate the issue of future contingents so far as I can tell. Tom Muller has done work on the open future in relativistic terms (for instance here), but it’s pretty technical stuff. 

-------------------------------------------

Follow that link. read the abstract.  You'll get the idea, as I did, that it is more than "pretty technical." It is head-spinningly technical. 

What I gather is that some philosophers believe it is possible to construe relativistic physics in a way consistent with an "open future" (consistent, that is, with either presentism or the growing edge) by invoking a "differential-geometrical version of branching space-times." 

I'll have to give some thought to that. 

ON EDIT:  Here is something pertinent from last year. 

Branching Space-Times: Theory and Applications | Reviews | Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews | University of Notre Dame

You have to get two-thirds of the way down into THAT review before you get to an explicit discussion of "relativism-friendly indeterminism." I don't understand it, but obviously there are fine minds working on it. 

Comments

  1. Christopher, what do you mean by your assertion in the second paragraph that the past is real? The way I see it is that it was real, and its effects are real (if a person died, then his absence is real), but how can it be real? Or consider that, as I type this comment, immediately after I type each letter, my act of typing it is past, yet its presence on the screen (the effect of my typing) is real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see what I mean if you think of "really" in its common use as a one-word question. "A stegosaurus once stood on this very spot!" "Really?" "Yes, really. The fossil discovered here yesterday proves it." The real dinosaur left a fossil, which exists in the present. But the fossil isn't the reality of the dinosaur, it is evidence of that reality. When we ask the child-like question "really" we are asking about the live beast! Safely dead, but quite real. You might also think of the English-language term "realty" for land and buildings. Why does that seem to be the most REAL sort of property? Two reasons, IMHO, permanence and fecundity. Land is not as evanescent as your act of striking a particular key. Like the past, it stays in place long enough for fossils to be dug up out of it. Also, land is fecund -- the future is growing up out of it in front of us. Land is real both because it reaches back into the past and because it promises (though never will it quite have delivered) the future-- next month's harvest (I am writing as September approaches).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we agree. The live beast, as you acknowledge, is not there; only its effect -- the fossil -- is. I think that you'd agree with the words I've inserted here: "Safely dead, but [it was] quite real."

    What you write about real property may explain the derivation of the term -- why it seems more real to us than personal property or than actions such as typing a character on a keyboard. Ontologically, however, a bubble, during the second that it exists, is as real as a piece of land, as is typing a character on a keyboard.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't agree that we agree. My view is that reality is not a binary choice, with both bubbles and land on one side, leprechauns and Middle Earth on the other. Reality is what our sense of reality tells us it is, and this is a continuum. The present is more real than the past, but both are real, and in that respect both are in contrast with the future and any 35th-century leprechauns we might posit there.

      Delete
  4. I think that we agree as to what "present" and "past" means, and that's all that is important. It is unimportant whether you call the past real, but less real than the present, or I call the past unreal when it is no longer present. Our difference is semantic.

    I acknowledge a difficulty with my approach, but I don't see that it refutes it. Suppose that I'm singing a song. By my approach, when I finish each note, it becomes past and no longer real. The difficulty is that a song does not consist of isolated notes; it consists of a series of notes. The impact of the note that I am singing at present depends upon the notes that have preceded it. Does that make them real, or is it only that their effect on the present note is real? Does the answer matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing a song is just one example of an activity that we view as ongoing in the present. Eating a meal, riding a bike, and typing a blog comment are other examples. When we're eating the second bite of a meal, we don't say that the first bite is in the past and the second in the present. But we could say that, and it would be true. The fact that we don't say it is a matter of semantic convention; it doesn't change what is real and what is not.

      Delete
    2. Not only activities may be viewed as ongoing in the present. I am now sitting at my desktop typing, and next to me is my printer sitting on a file cabinet. It has been sitting there for years. Its position has not changed; it has sat there in the past and is sitting there in the present, which continuously becomes the past. I don't know whether this observation is relevant to the matter at hand.

      Delete
    3. Now you have developed an intriguing lie of thought -- one that stands behind the Jamesian notion of the "specious present." The NOW has to have some duration, James thought, in order to exist at all. Euclidean points are unreal abstractions, and if the present is just a point between past and future it is likewise. So perhaps you might think of your most immediate memories and your most immediate expectations as within the scope of your "now." "I've been through the desert on a HORSE with no name." When I am saying HORSE I may be experiencing a present that includes the whole line. This is why we seldom make mistakes along the lines of "I've been through the desert on a horse of course of course." Does this mean anything for the growing block theory? Maybe not, except that the growing edge of the block has some depth. Or, if you insist on saying only the present exists, IT has to have some depth.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Story About Coleridge

This is a quote from a memoir by Dorothy Wordsworth, reflecting on a trip she took with two famous poets, her brother, William Wordsworth, and their similarly gifted companion, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.   We sat upon a bench, placed for the sake of one of these views, whence we looked down upon the waterfall, and over the open country ... A lady and gentleman, more expeditious tourists than ourselves, came to the spot; they left us at the seat, and we found them again at another station above the Falls. Coleridge, who is always good-natured enough to enter into conversation with anybody whom he meets in his way, began to talk with the gentleman, who observed that it was a majestic waterfall. Coleridge was delighted with the accuracy of the epithet, particularly as he had been settling in his own mind the precise meaning of the words grand, majestic, sublime, etc., and had discussed the subject with William at some length the day before. “Yes, sir,” says Coleridge, “it is a majesti

Five Lessons from the Allegory of the Cave

  Please correct me if there are others. But it seems to be there are five lessons the reader is meant to draw from the story about the cave.   First, Plato  is working to devalue what we would call empiricism. He is saying that keeping track of the shadows on the cave wall, trying to make sense of what you see there, will NOT get you to wisdom. Second, Plato is contending that reality comes in levels. The shadows on the wall are illusions. The solid objects being passed around behind my back are more real than their shadows are. BUT … the world outside the the cave is more real than that — and the sun by which that world is illuminated is the top of the hierarchy. So there isn’t a binary choice of real/unreal. There are levels. Third, he equates realness with knowability.  I  only have opinions about the shadows. Could I turn around, I could have at least the glimmerings of knowledge. Could I get outside the cave, I would really Know. Fourth, the parable assigns a task to philosophers

Searle: The Chinese Room

John Searle has become the object of accusations of improper conduct. These accusations even have some people in the world of academic philosophy saying that instructors in that world should try to avoid teaching Searle's views. That is an odd contention, and has given rise to heated exchanges in certain corners of the blogosphere.  At Leiter Reports, I encountered a comment from someone describing himself as "grad student drop out." GSDO said: " This is a side question (and not at all an attempt to answer the question BL posed): How important is John Searle's work? Are people still working on speech act theory or is that just another dead end in the history of 20th century philosophy? My impression is that his reputation is somewhat inflated from all of his speaking engagements and NYRoB reviews. The Chinese room argument is a classic, but is there much more to his work than that?" I took it upon myself to answer that on LR. But here I'll tak