Skip to main content

Trade Deficits

Image result for barber

There is no real reason for the policy makers of a nation to worry about bilateral trade deficits.

After all, I have a gross trade deficit with my barber. I buy haircuts from him regularly and he never buys anything from me.

I sell internet content. My barber has little reason to buy internet content. His website (if he even has one) would be a quite modest affair with no need for the product of my blood and sweat.

Yet this deficit is sustainable -- there is no need for me to shed tears over it.

What might be of concern is a global trade deficit. When what I sell to the world as a whole is of less value than what I buy from it, I am in an unsustainable position. The point, still, is that bilateral thinking doesn't help us address that situation.

Just as some people make the mistake of worrying about bilateral trade deficits, others make the mistake that believing that such a deficit is a source of strength, of leverage. "I pay my barber a lot of money if we annualize it -- he'd be really sorry to lose me -- so he'd better do as I say about [insert subject other than hair cut quality or style here.]  The fact is, I have no such leverage. If he's a good barber. he'll find other customers, and they'll put up with his idiosyncratic wall decor or whatever it is that drive me away.

Where am I going with this?

The truth is I'm still thinking about Prez Trump's speech mid-August about Afghanistan, and in broader terms about south Asia as a theater.

Trump's speech said that India gets billions from U.S. purchases, and that as a result the U.S. can appropriately demand that India step up and accept a greater share of the burden of anti-terrorist efforts in the region.

In fact the U.S. goods trade deficit [leave out services trades for now -- for a reason I'll get to in a sec] with India in 2016 was $24 billion.  US sellers sent India's way $24 billion less of tangible things than US buyers received from there. That makes India the barber in my humble example. It's getting mostly money from us, we're getting stuff from it (diamonds, textiles, machinery, etc.)

Does this mean that we can boss them around? Not very effectively, no. We  can threaten to stop buying their diamonds. But there are other non-US buyers, and we'd be cutting off our own nose to no good effect.

The thing about goods rather than services, diamonds rather than haircuts, is that they're readily transferable to third parties. Someone in France can buy Indian diamonds and sell them to Americans. And diamonds are fungible -- there is no discernable property of an "Indian diamond" once it is in world trade. So this idea of using our bilateral trade deficit as leverage gets to look silly pretty quickly, especially when goods are concerned. So long as they continued to contribute to the world's supply of the stuff, and we continued to contribute to the world's demand, we'd still in rough effect be buying their diamonds. (Diamonds "in the rough," get it?)

Services that cross national borders, and oceans, don't necessarily pass through third parties in the way diamonds do. If I do break things off with my barber I'm not going to be getting haircuts from a guy who still gets haircuts from him, in the way in which I can buy the diamonds from the continued patrons of my old diamond merchant.  And India famously does provide the US with services -- think of those call centers, for example, to which I would make resort if this laptop weren't working! What happens if Trump tries to leverage the services portion of our trade deficit with India by cutting THAT connection?

Well, nothing good, although the analysis is a tad more complicated here.

But, hey, Trump can now say he has an Afghanistan and/or a South Asia policy. He gave a speech on it and everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Story About Coleridge

This is a quote from a memoir by Dorothy Wordsworth, reflecting on a trip she took with two famous poets, her brother, William Wordsworth, and their similarly gifted companion, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.   We sat upon a bench, placed for the sake of one of these views, whence we looked down upon the waterfall, and over the open country ... A lady and gentleman, more expeditious tourists than ourselves, came to the spot; they left us at the seat, and we found them again at another station above the Falls. Coleridge, who is always good-natured enough to enter into conversation with anybody whom he meets in his way, began to talk with the gentleman, who observed that it was a majestic waterfall. Coleridge was delighted with the accuracy of the epithet, particularly as he had been settling in his own mind the precise meaning of the words grand, majestic, sublime, etc., and had discussed the subject with William at some length the day before. “Yes, sir,” says Coleridge, “it is a majesti

Five Lessons from the Allegory of the Cave

  Please correct me if there are others. But it seems to be there are five lessons the reader is meant to draw from the story about the cave.   First, Plato  is working to devalue what we would call empiricism. He is saying that keeping track of the shadows on the cave wall, trying to make sense of what you see there, will NOT get you to wisdom. Second, Plato is contending that reality comes in levels. The shadows on the wall are illusions. The solid objects being passed around behind my back are more real than their shadows are. BUT … the world outside the the cave is more real than that — and the sun by which that world is illuminated is the top of the hierarchy. So there isn’t a binary choice of real/unreal. There are levels. Third, he equates realness with knowability.  I  only have opinions about the shadows. Could I turn around, I could have at least the glimmerings of knowledge. Could I get outside the cave, I would really Know. Fourth, the parable assigns a task to philosophers

Searle: The Chinese Room

John Searle has become the object of accusations of improper conduct. These accusations even have some people in the world of academic philosophy saying that instructors in that world should try to avoid teaching Searle's views. That is an odd contention, and has given rise to heated exchanges in certain corners of the blogosphere.  At Leiter Reports, I encountered a comment from someone describing himself as "grad student drop out." GSDO said: " This is a side question (and not at all an attempt to answer the question BL posed): How important is John Searle's work? Are people still working on speech act theory or is that just another dead end in the history of 20th century philosophy? My impression is that his reputation is somewhat inflated from all of his speaking engagements and NYRoB reviews. The Chinese room argument is a classic, but is there much more to his work than that?" I took it upon myself to answer that on LR. But here I'll tak