Not surprisingly, the US goes its own way on much journalistic lingo, using terms distinct from those employed in the same context by the rest of the English speaking world.
Consider the "sidebar". Often, for a important story, there is material that is pertinent to an understanding of the story but that does not QUITE fit into it. A story, after all, is a narration, not a data dump. Anyway, the additional material that bears upon a story is often carried separately, by its side, or within a outline (a "box") nearby.
In the US, this is called a "sidebar." In rest of Anglophone, it is a "boxout".
Consider also the "subhead". This is an often italicized bit of material below the headline but before the lead paragraph ("lede graf"). In the US -- subhead. Rest of world -- standfirst.
And the "copy editor"? This is the last person between the journalist writing a story and the general public about to read it. The copy editor will generally give it a final scrub for issues of punctuation, grammar, or just plain typos.
I work nowadays, due to the miracles of technology, from my home in Massachusetts but under the supervision of people in London, England. I have learned that the copy editor is, in the home office, a "submissions editor" or for short a "sub". When I send in copy I am expected to ask for a "sub and pub" -- for a final read through and scrub to be followed by publication.
To me, though, "sub and pub" even after more than three years working for these folk still sounds like it ought to mean something else. "Let's meet in the bar to discuss this story -- we can split a grinder for lunch." Or would that be "to the pub for a sub"?
Okay I'm a long-term resident of southern New England. For those of you who live anywhere else, a "grinder" is pictured above.
Comments
Post a Comment